- Slow your speed for better control on rain slick roadways.
- Allow extra distance for braking.
- Turn your lights on whenever wipers are required -- it's the law!
- Don't try to cross a flooded roadway. If you see water on the road ahead, turn around and find another route.
- If there is no other route, get to higher ground and wait for the water to subside.
- Even if the water appears shallow, don't cross. The road underneath could have dips or may have washed away.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most cars, causing loss of control or possible stalling. One or two feet of water can sweep most vehicles away.
- If your car stalls, get out immediately and move to higher ground.
- Don't drive unless necessary.
- If it's necessary to drive, know before you go. Check which roads are closed due to flooding on MoDOT's Traveler Information Map at http://www.modot.org/ or call 1-888-ASK MoDOT or the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Monday, June 15, 2009
With heavy rains today, remember some of these flood safety tips, and check MoDOT's Traveler Information Map for updated road closure information.