Thursday, October 21, 2010

Two Thumbs Up

A new Nielsen survey out this week shows that teens send or receive an average of 3,339 texts a month, up 8 percent from last year. While I like to think that my teen years weren’t THAT long ago, the fact that I never go over my texting plan of 250 texts per month shows me that I’m not nineteen anymore.

The problem with texting is that too many texts are being sent from behind the wheel. I can’t get in my car and drive anywhere without seeing at least one person texting while driving. Just last week I passed a car that had been weaving between lanes for a good five miles only to figure out why: she was texting.

In 2008, 4,457 teen drivers ages 15 to 19 were involved in fatal crashes, and 16 percent (692) were distracted at the time of the crash. While it can be hard to put away your phone and ignore that pesky little beep of a new text message, the risk it poses to you and others on the road is just not worth it.

This week is Teen Driver Safety Week. Talk to your teen about distracted driving. Remind them that it’s prohibited for drivers under 22 and that it carries a hefty fine: $200.

For more information about teen driving safety, visit saveMOlives.com.

No comments: